- Pet-friendly fertilizers can be just as effective as other commercial fertilizers.Darren Falkenberg/iStockphoto/Getty Images
A pet can pick up harmful chemicals from fertilizers and weed killers on foot pads and in hair. When a pet cleans its feet or coat, these chemicals can enter the pet's body and cause serious illness. Incorporating some pet-friendly growing techniques and using a few pet-friendly fertilizers can provide a lawn safe for pets to run on.
- The best pet-friendly weed control involves no herbicides at all. According to home improvement specialists "The Handyguys" in a 2010 article written for Home Ec 101's website, over-seeding your lawn creates a thick lush carpet of grass that inhibits weed growth. Weeds can't invade the lawn simply because there isn't enough room to establish a root structure with all that green grass in the way.
Corn Gluten Pellets
- Corn gluten pellets spread over the lawn will inhibit growth of weeds and crab grass and won't harm your pets if they happen to eat some. The pellets are composed from the residue of starch production from corn or wheat and are often mixed with molasses, fat or colloidal clay to bind them. These pellets are used primarily as a cattle feed and may be purchased anywhere bagged feed for livestock is sold.
- Yes, the name is a little intimidating, but that shouldn't put you off this pet-friendly fertilizer. Blood meal is literally dried, powdered blood, which is often mixed with animal bone meal. The result is a fertilizer high in nitrogen, a mineral crucial to plant development. The compound is water-soluble, which means it can easily be mixed as a liquid fertilizer to deliver nutrients quickly. Precise measurements are important when using any liquid fertilizer, as too much of the compound could burn your lawn.
- Potash is a potassium containing salt which occurs naturally in the earth's crust. The copper-colored mineral is water-soluble and often included in liquid fertilizers because of its potassium content. Combining this mineral with blood or bone meal provides a balanced, pet-friendly fertilizer for your lawn.